Casa do Terraço
This apartment is located in a newly renovated building in historical Alfama alongside other property of a similar style. These apartments can all be rented together for large groups or families. The 2 apartments together can provide accommodation for up to 9 guests:
- Casa do Sol for 4 guests
- Casa do Terraço for 5 guests, with roof top terrace
"Alojamento Local" Registration number: 13532/AL
- Dining/Living room (20m2) with three balconies with panoramic views over the Jardim do Tabaco street and the Fado Museum. There's an antique wood dining table and matching chairs, a double sofa-bed crowned by a big mirror, cable TV and a Radio and IPod Station. This room was once one of the towers of the "Fernandina" Wall, a fact revealed by the depth of its walls (more than one meter). From the one of the balconies you can see the terrace below.
- Bedroom (10m2) with one double bed and a wooden wardrobe.
- Bedroom (9m2) with a standard double-bed, a big mirror and a dresser.
- Bathroom (5m2) with two large windows, hand-painted tiles with 15th century Portuguese "Caravelas Latinas" used during the Age of Discovery and a marvelous antique iron tub. Full supply of towels, soap and other necessities as well as a hair dryer.
- Kitchen (7m2) with everything necessary to prepare and enjoy a meal: stove and oven, kettle, plates, cups, knives & forks, pots, pans, kitchen utensils, a fridge, an electric water heater, a microwave and a toaster. From the kitchen you can access the terrace descending the stairs where you can find a small fountain in the wall. It has also a washing-machine.
- Terrace (23m2): truly unique space decorated with traditional hand-forged iron railings and several stone seats sculpted into the walls. These seats are called "namoradeiras" in Portuguese which means "made for dating" because they are made in pairs of two, one in front of the other. There is a marble table with four wooden chairs where you can enjoy a meal or simply enjoy the sun and the views. But if you prefer a shady place you can lay down on the forged iron bed, typical from Alentejo, and read a book or plan the trips for the next day.
- Walk-in closet (4m2) to put baggage and clothes and with extra blankets and pillows.
Location and SurroundingsThe apartment is located in the center of Lisbon in the historical Alfama neighborhood, a few meters from the Tagus River, on the second and third floors of an ancient building, where the traditional architecture is revealed by the stone staircases and arcade on the entrance hall.
The building was erected upon one of the 77 towers of the Ferdinand wall (1373-1375), survived the major earthquake of 1755 and was renovated in 2010. To enter the building you will cross under one of the 38 ancient gates of the old city wall.
The apartment decor is inspired by the Portuguese typical style with some Moorish appointments. Inside you'll find traditional hand-painted tiles, well-maintained old furniture, joyful colors and a full-hand of antique objects and memories creating an unforgettable atmosphere. Each window is a living picture of Alfama's neighborhood.
Additional information- There is a security deposit of 250 euros, which shall be paid in cash on arrival and returned in full at the end of your stay if no damage is done to the apartment
- Small, well-behaved pets are allowed but there will be an additional cleaning fee of 20 euros
- Check-in from 4pm (16h00); Check-out before 11am (11h00); however, if there are no other guests arriving/departing on the same day it is normally possible to arrange an earlier check-in or later check-out
- Surcharge for late check-in after 10pm (22h00): 25 euros, but there is no additional cleaning fee.
Latest reviews on this apartment (total of 17 reviews)
Othon Garcia, Mexico
Great place, great location! The perfect size for a family trip and with a great "terraço" to enjoy the weather. We loved this apartment and for sure we will go back one day.
albert kvitkovsky, Russian Federation
this place is unconditionally one of the best "shelter" for the family or couple of friends. With its opened and beautiful terrace it situated in the real historical center and in the same time it`s hidden from the too "interested" eyes. I`ll return there my next times in Lisbon in any case!
corinne cardoso, France
After a stay of 5 days in this apartment we had only a wich: return there! It is an ideally placed, pleasant apartment and with a spacious terrace. Of this place it is simple to move on foot or in public transportation, everything is accessible. Finally, its simplicity and its peace gives us the impression to be as at home!!
Gareth Bradshaw, United Kingdom
Three of us stayed at the apartment for 4 nights and had a wonderful time. It's a beautiful apartment, well kitted out with everything you will need during your stay. The location is fantastic for Alfama and is a 5 minute walk from Santa Apolonia station for the metro and trains. We loved spending evenings out on the balcony taking in the atmosphere of the area. I'd also like to thank the owners for being friendly and helpful during our stay, going out of their way to return an item left behind. Would highly recommend, and would definitely return to stay again!
Stephanie Meteyet, France
Our family stayed at the apartment for a week. The owners were so kind and helpful. It was truly a home away from home. One of the advantages of this apartment is its location- very convenient to the metro, trams and close to many sites. Alfama is full of charm and authenticity. We shall try and go back in warmer months so we can fully take advantage of the balcony.
phyllis stillman, United States
A friend and I stayed at the apartment last fall and really enjoyed it. The apartment has everything you need, including a chilled bottle of vinho verde to greet you! It's in an area that's mixed, residential but with restaurants and shops nearby. The Alfama is a very historic, picturesque area, and the apartment is in the heart of it. The beds were comfortable, the kitchen well stocked, and there's free wifi. We loved the patio, where we watched protest marchers and listened to folk music. The owner was very nice and helpful; he even provided me with an adapter for my computer. A great place!
Gillian Latham, United Kingdom
We stayed as a couple for 3 nights in Casa do Terraco. We were warmly welcomed by the owners who took the time to show us round and give us lots of very helpful information about the area. We arrived early due to a change of plans and the owners were very kind in allowing us to drop our bags off early. The apartment is spotlessly clean - the cleaning ladies were there when we dropped the bags off and did a wonderful job - it felt as though we were the first people to stay there even though previous tenants had left hours earlier. The apartment is spacious with a wonderfully light living room, but it is the terrace that makes it a unique place to stay. We enjoyed every moment and know for sure that we will be requesting to stay there again sooner rather than later. Thank you!
Robert Turner, United Arab Emirates
A lovely place to stay in Alfama. Everything was in easy reach and the Terrance was lovely in the early mornings and evenings. The owner was very nice and helpful as well. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
Annie Berry, United Kingdom
We stayed with our daughter for one week this summer. The apartment was very comfortable and it seemed even nicer than it looked online. The terrace was a bonus to have our meals outside on. The rooms were lovely. It is a good position for the metro and walk into town. The apartment has lots of character. The owner was very helpful and we recommend the same pizza place nearby on the dockside opposite Cais do Sodre station!
Gonzalo Tradacete, Spain
Fantastic appartment in the middle of one of the most tasty neighborhoods of Lisboa: Alfama. 1mn walk to the Museo do fado and 10mns walk from the Plaça do Comerçio, and other attractions. Formidable host which helped us a lot... we thank again Bruno for his generosity, attention and exquisite care.
Isabella B, Czech Republic
We stayed here with family for a few days in August 2013. Completely agree with the other reviews - the apartment is thoroughly lovely, and the pictures online don't do justice to its unique historical interior. Bruno and his wife were the perfect hosts, knowledgeable, helpful and very friendly. The apartment and our hosts made our stay in Lisbon a truly memorable one - thank you from all three of us!
Alison Sedman, United Kingdom
We have just returned from our holiday in Lisbon - and this beautiful appartment. The area is wonderful lots of great bars and restaurants very beautiful. The owner could not have been more helpful - especially returning my daughter iphone which she left behind! Thanks Great base to go to Optimus festival - train to great beaches etc
Suresh Menon, India
The apartment was very good and comfortable with antique furnitures. The advantage of this apartment was that it was ideally located at Alfama, the historical place of Lisbon with all restaurants/shopping areas/sight seeing around/ near river front/fado music. The Owner Mr. Bruno and his wife Rosario were extremely nice. We stayed there for three nights with our 2 daughters and they just loved the place. All together we had great time staying there. Txs
Wendy Boast, United Kingdom
A lovely apartment in a fantastic spot for the old town and exploring Lisbon. Lovely restaurants and bars all around and also easy to go and hear Fado music. The apartment is spacious and Bruno and Rosario and are extremely friendly and helpful. A couple of gripes - one of the double rooms as shown in the pictures was made up as a twin with the beds not together, there were no cushions for the terrace area or the sofas so it did make relaxing a bit more uncomfortable. That wouldn't put me off going again though.
Anthony Shevlin, Australia
The location is fantastic and the owner Bruno is very helpful, the apartment is comfortable, the stairs a bit tricky with heavy luggage. Very easy to explore Lisbon from this location, would stay at the apartment again.
Barbara Berry, United States
We stayed in this apartment for 4 nights at the end of January, 2016. Everything went very smoothly from start to finish. Bruno sent us a comprehensive house manual listing both house rules and suggestions for things to do in Lisbon. When we arrived, he showed us around the apartment and sent us to dinner at an amazing, small restaurant we would not have found on our own. Our stay was very comfortable, with everything supplied that we could ever need. We would occasionally hear our neighbours above or on the street (garbage collection), but it was not enough to ruin our vacation. Location was fantastic. We would definitely recommend this to others.
Roger Bates, United Kingdom
Excellent value in a good location. Nothing was too much trouble for the owner Bruno who was helpful and responsive throughout.