Alfama River IV
Detailed descriptionThis apartment is a 1-bedroom 4th floor apartment located in the traditional Old Town Alfama district in the centre of Lisbon. It has truly magnificent views of the expansive River Tagus estuary and has air-conditioning and free Wi-Fi Internet. Suitable for up to 4 guests.
This apartment is located in a newly renovated building with 3 other properties. These apartments can all be rented together for large groups or families. The 4 apartments together can provide accommodation for up to 22 guests and are as follows:
- Alfama River IV (fourth-floor air-conditioned 1 bedroom apartment with river views, for 4 guests)
- Alfama River III (third-floor air-conditioned 2 bedroom apartment with river views, for 6 guests)
- Alfama River II (second-floor air-conditioned 2 bedroom apartment, for 6 guests)
- Alfama River I (1st-floor Air-conditioned 2 bedroom apartment, for 6 guests)
Facility descriptionMain features:
- air-conditioning unit (also heating)
- 1 bedroom with double bed
- 2 double sofa-beds in living room
- free Internet (both wi-fi and cable) and cable TV channels
- absolutely magnificent views over the river, and also of Alfama's rooftops
- central location close to major transport facilities
- Total Area: 71 m2 (760 square feet)
Location and SurroundingsAlfama, together with the Bairro Alto, are the "bairros" or neighbourhoods par excellence for listening to fado. Alfama is the oldest district of Lisbon, having survived the terrible 1755 earthquake, and its streets and inhabitants have been the subject of many Fado songs down the times. Today this famous "bairro" includes many excellent Fado restaurants, and some of the best are of the "Fado vadio" variety, where non-professional singers get up to put their hearts and souls on show for all to see.
Calçada do Forte is a very small street and it's possible the taxi driver doesn't know exactly where it is. You should explain that it is next to the "Museu Militar" (Military Museum), very near the Santa Apolonia station.
The following major sights are all within around 20 minutes walking distance, or less:
Santa Apolonia - Metro & Train Station
Feira da Ladra - Local fleamarket held on Tuesdays & Saturdays.
Alfama Swimming Pool - Entrance to the Alfama Municipal Swimming Pool.
The Fado Museum- Presents the cultural and social impact of Fado, the national music of Portugal.
Military Museum - A testament to the country's battles.
Doca do Jardim do Tabaco - An area of sleek restaurants and club on the waterfront.
Lisbon Cathedral - "A Sé" is the oldest building in the city.
Miradouro das Portas do Sol - This balcony opens onto the river and offers truly spectacular views over Alfama.
Decorative Arts Museum - The Azurara Palace houses this captivating decorative arts collection.
St. George's Castle - The castle overlooks the city from millennium-old walls.
St. Anthony Church - The birthplace of Saint Anthony of Padua, the patron saint of Lisbon.
Miradouro de Santa Luzia - This viewpoint provides excellent vistas of Alfama and the river Tagus.
São Vicente de Fora Church - The Church or Monastery of São Vicente de Fora, meaning 'Monastery of St. Vincent Outside the Walls', is a 16th century church with an exceptional tiled interior. It is one of the most important mannerist buildings in the country and the burial site of most Portuguese Kings of the House of Braganza.
Santa Engracia National Pantheon - Contains the tombs of several Portuguese presidents, writer Almeida Garrett and famous Fado singer Amalia Rodrigues.
Miradouro da Graça - Viewpoint offering panoramic vistas of the castle and the city.
Miradouro Nossa Senhora do Monte - One of the most romantic miradouros, this one offers the city's most beautiful sunsets.
Roman Theater Ruins/Museum - The archaological remains of a once large Roman theatre.
Casa dos Bicos - The "House of Spikes" is an architectural curiosity, faced with diamond-shaped stones.
Elevador de Santa Justa - The Santa Justa Lift is 45m tall and built in wrought iron. This tourist attraction was designed by an apprentice of Gustave Eiffel, and is the only vertical urban lift in Lisbon.
Conceição Velha Church - 16th century church where an old 15th century Jewish temple once stood.
Alfama Car Park - Public underground car park where you leave your vehicle to be automatically stored away and parked by the sophisticated machinery.
São Domingos Church - To the right of the National Theater, this church has a high altar, with red marble columns that support the sculptural composition of the Holy Trinity.
Praça do Comercio - This is an expansive square on the waterfront known as 'Terreiro do Paço', and home to the Lisboa Welcome Center - the most important tourist office in the city.
Praça Rossio - Rossio Square - official name, Praça Dom Pedro IV - is Lisbon's most vibrant sqaure and a great place to stop for a coffee at the surrounding cafeterias and people watch.
Nossa Senhora da Saúde - 16th Century Church, renovated in the 18th Century after the 1755 earthquake. In early May the procession of Nossa Senhora da Saúde starts here, and the eponymous statue is paraded through the streets.
Igreja de Santo Estevão - The orginal temple was founded here in the 12th Century, and the church was rebuilt in 1733 in Baroque style.
Convento e Igreja do Carmo - This Convent and Church was Lisbon's principal Gothic church, until it was destroyed by the earthquake of 1755. Its ruins remain as a sombre testament of the destruction wrought by that fatal event.
Rua Augusta - A lively commercial and pedestrian street with mosaic pavements, cafes with outdoor terraces, international and souvenir shops, and several street artists and vendors.
Elevador do Ladra - The Elevador do Lavra or Ascensor do Lavra was inaugurated in 1884 and is Lisbon's oldest funicular.
Additional information- This is a non-smoking apartment and no pets are allowed.
- There is a 150 euros damage deposit, which will be refunded in full as long as no damage is done to the apartments (this amount will be increased to 250 euros for stays of longer than 4 weeks, and to 600 euros for stays of more than 2 months)
- Standard check-in from 3pm (15h00) and check-out before 12pm (12h00); however, you can almost always leave your bags, or if there are no other guests arriving/departing on the same day we will do our best to arrange an earlier check-in or later check-out at no extra cost, please just ask.
- Surcharge for late check-in after 10pm (22h00): 25 euros.
- There is no lift or elevator in the building, making accessibility very difficult for wheelchair users, the physically impaired or those with mobility problems. Please note that in the historic centre of Lisbon, there are virtually no residential buildings with lifts. In Alfama it is practically impossible. Only the very new buildings in the historic centre of Lisbon have lifts, and normally these new buildings don't have apartments for tourists.
Latest reviews on this apartment (total of 2 reviews)
Liz Bartosz, Poland
Majestatic Rio Tejo just behind your window The apartment is best for two people or a couple with two children. Pros: Excellent location - you can get quickly on your foot to the historical centre or to the metro/railway station if you want farther sightseeing. There is a grocery at the station open til 21:30, which saved our lifes after all day sightseeing. The owner of the apartment was helpfull, as there had been no former reservation we could check in few hours earlier. Cons: Be prepared for prettiness of an old house: steep stairs and strange smells. Deciding on accomodation in alfama district keep in mind that these are rather features than drawbacks. All in all in a hotel you won't have Rio Tejo visible from your bed.
sandra vallejo, Colombia
My husband and I stayed at this beautiful apartment last March 2015 and were both pleasantly surprised for the location, the view, the space and amenities of the apartments. Everything was very clean and the neighborhood was quiet but it had easy access to a grocery, restaurants and tourist attractions. We enjoyed a Tapas restaurant just next door and we really felt like we were exactly at the place we wanted to be. The access to either the Metro, the bus or a Taxi is super easy from the apartment. We do not recommend this apartment for someone that is out of shape or has health problems or disabilities because of the narrow stairway to go to the floor, otherwise, it is a great deal!